Saturday, December 30, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Yesterday I boarded a plane to Asheville, North Carolina for a job interview. This is my story...

So, I got to the big booming Green Bay airport (ok, not really...it's tiny) and talked to Jackie on the phone until I got on board. I flew to Detroit and had to walk through this stinking underground tunnel that looks like an underwater experience with weird lights and electronic music (if you've been in the Detroit airport, you know what I'm talking about). I then waited to board the uber small plane that would take me to Asheville. It was a gorgeous day. Not a cloud in the sky and I could look out the window and behold God's amazing creative hand as I stared at mountain ranges and snow caps. It was breathtaking. When I got to the small airport, I had one thing on the mind- how to get to my motel. I need to get to the Days Inn just a mile away (across the highway) but I didn't know how. I stared walking, talking again to Jackie as she laughed her head off at me (picture me, dressed in professional attire, walking down a fairly busy airport driveway, carting a rolling backpack behind me...). So, I decided to take a cab instead. Here's the thing about airport cabs, you have to pay for the amount of time they sat there. I only had $15 with me and the driver said it would start at $8! So...I told him to go ahead and drive. I nervously watched the meter climb...$10, $10.25, $10.50. When it got to $13.50, I told him to pull over and I would get out there. I handed him my money and looked at my surroundings...a McDonald's parking lot. But, in the distance, about 1/2 a mile away was the towering Days Inn sign, a glimmer of hope. I called Jackie again, knowing that she would again get a kick out of my story, and I headed down the access road, once again my luggage in tow.

I got check in fine, met the Residence Director from Taejon Christian International School in South Korea. This was the final step in the interview process. I was applying to be a Resident Assistant at the school. I had to meet with the school's psychologist and he analyzed my personality based on a few tests I had taken before. I met the other guy applying for a job, Mike (who, is moving to S. Korea in just 12 days...crazy! God bless, Mike!). I was introduced to the headmaster and we all went out to eat. What I didn't know was that EVERYONE in the South drinks sweet tea. Pointer: if you're interviewing for a job that requires you to move and adapt in a different country, try to show them that you can adapt to a different culture. Needless to say, I didn't drink sweet tea and I ordered my predictable "water with lemon". Stares ensued and I felt like a moron. We met for a while that night, talking about the school and the ministry. I headed back to my room, chatted on the phone with Julie for an hour, and fell asleep.

The next morning, we all went out to Waffle House for breakfast where I ordered a Pecan Waffle (in the South it's pecan...in the north, it's peecon...let's just say, they could tell I was a Yankee.). We met again after that and contracts were extended to both me and Mike. Now, this isn't just a short term missions trip we're talking about. This isn't just a 1 month experience in a foreign country. This is a 2-year minimum commitment. I would be investing in the lives of 11 and 12th grade girls in the boarding program of a very prestigous Christian school in South Korea. I would be uprooting my life in the states...well, just read my previous blogs and you'll get the gist.

So, after much prayer (thank you, friends who have been so faithful in that area for me) and consideration, I've made my decision. Well, it wasn't really a choice. God made it pretty clear where He wants me and let's just say, I haven't been this excited about the ministry in a long time.

On July 30th, 2007, I will move to Teajon, South Korea to work as an RA in Springer Dorm at TCIS. I wouldn't have been able to guess in a million years that this was where the Lord was leading me. But I'm thankful He has. What an amazing God we serve! S. Korea, here I come!!

But for now, let me just relish in my last 4 months at IWU. Cherish the moments with friends and live in the present. Therefore, you probably won't hear about Korea for a while...just about my life right now. Thanks for reading and praying. God bless!

3 comments:

Jackie Magnuson said...

dains....first off, so excited that i was mentioned in the blog! i feel honored. second, i'm so proud of you!! i think you'll do a great job and well you'll be stretched and challenged in ways you never imagined. you'll learn how to rely on god in a whole new way. you'll be amazing! i love you!! see you soon :) ps. it's me, Jackie, but i

Jackie Magnuson said...

haha...so i messed up typing on the last comment...forget the "ps. it's me Jackie, but i" haha...

Anonymous said...

Hey, look forward to meeting you at the beginning of August!