Saturday, April 26, 2008

This was an email I recently wrote to a few girlfriends of mine. It pretty much sums up my life right now...


"As I sit here in my apartment, watching Nanny McFee on television (here, it's written in Korean, "Noni Macpee") I'm contemplating the last year (and how bazaar this Emma Thompson movie really is). I talked to Tiff Todd today as she was packing up her car and getting ready to spend her last night as an IWU student. Yes, graduation is tomorrow (well, today in Korea), as I'm sure most of you are aware. We will no longer be the "freshly graduated class of '07". We graduated a year ago. What''s happened in that year? Looking on the surface, we've scattered. Some are still in Fort Wayne, Detroit or Indianapolis, some have moved to Chicago, Houston, Asia, Booneville (but are now moving to Denver) and some went straight to Denver (after getting married and stuff). But aside from the obvious differences, how else have we changed?

I don't mean this to be a super sappy note, but I can't help but look back and reflect on one of the most life-changing years I've had. We went from comfortable and familiar to foreign and new (if not in location, then occupation or other ways). How have we adapted? What has the Father taught us through it? For me, I know that the Lord had to take everything away from me that I held dear in order to hear what He wanted to say. Now, I know that these things weren't actually taken away, my family is still there for me, you are all still my friends (right? ehem...right?), but it's surely not the same over the phone. The Lord has taught me the extreme importance of demonstrating His love through everyday tasks. I've been challenged with my use of sarcasm, my tendency to shut down when I'm hurt and my laziness when it comes to being intentional with my students. Above all, the Lord has challenged me with contentment. How am I supposed to be content when I've been in Asia for 9 months, I can't communicate with the shopkeepers that I see every single day and my students are making constant trouble for themselves? The better question is how can I NOT be content? This contentment can't come based on my job, my friends or even based on the part of the world I'm living in. It has to come from Christ and Christ alone. I didn't really grasp this until just this month. From January until about March, I was in a serious funk (as many of you know). I wanted to go home and I was just biding my time until then. I wasn't content with being where I was. The Lord really slammed me upside the head and reminded me that besides all the temporal blessings He's given me, He gave me His Son so I should never be anything but content. So whether we're working a minimum wage job and living at home while awaiting the Lord's guidance or moving across the country to do ministry in a field we love, we need to find contentment. This isn't a soapbox or anything, just sharing what God's been doing in my life. I finally found that elusive state of contentment in Christ a few weeks ago. Almost instantly, I started having amazingly deep conversations with my students. They started writing me notes of encouragement and of appreciation. I've been able to better disciple the two girls that accepted Christ this year. In short, I LOVE it here. When I think about the end of the year, I'm saddened, knowing that I will miss these kids so dearly. BUT, I'm also stoked to go back to the States...to eat Taco Bell and Wheat Thins. Spend time with my family. Call you girls at normal hours and sit and chat with many of you. The point is, the Lord wanted me to find contentment in Him before bringing a shower of blessings. Because if I can be content in the midst of blessings, where's the lesson in that? It's when we are in the pits and find contentment that the Lord is evident in our lives.

One year ago, we were walking across a stage and into the unknown. What has this year held for you? What will next year hold? Whatever it is, know that I will be praying for you along the way. I have needed each of your friendships more than you could possibly ever know. Thank you for making the effort to stay in touch despite the miles. I love you all."


Although you may not have bee in the IWU class of '07, I hope that you can still relate to these thoughts. We serve a good God who wants us to find a state of contentment(not "happiness"...that's an emotion) in Him. I pray that you can do that today.


On a much lighter note, I'm sure many of you would be happy to know that I've had my first break out of pimples...ever. Sure, I've had the occasional zit here and there, but nothing earth-shattering. Moving to Korea and dealing with the pollution and yellow dust has made me break out. I had to buy my first face wash and zit cream since the ripe age of 13 when buying face wash was a right of passage into puberty. So, I hope all those who gave me a hard time throughout college for my clear skin are "content" with the fact that I too, am not invincible to blemishes.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

after the 1st paragraph, i forgot this was an email to your girlfriends, and became slightly confused by all the collective we's and grad references.

i am an idiot.

so you've been gone from the states for a year, and you can't wait to do what? "to eat Taco Bell and Wheat Thins." huh. that's...cool.

i miss you, sarah. you rock.

Ashley Roush- Majak Ministries CZ said...

Hey Sarah! So great to hear from you! I have been wondering how you have been. I will def. let Ivanah and Gabi know you are thinking about them and give them hugs for you!

Miss you tons! Hope all is well.

SIC,
Ashley